These states are expected to receive payments in May


Residents of four U.S. states could be in line for the next stimulus payments set to start paying out in May as the country continues to battle high inflation.

Three states – California, Delaware and Indiana – are expected to make payments this month, while the city of Chicago is expected to provide prepaid gas cards and transit passes.

Here’s a breakdown of upcoming payments by state.


Eligible California residents are set to receive payments under two stimulus packages passed last year — Golden State Stimulus I (GSS 1) and Golden State Stimulus II (GSS II).

State residents will receive a check for $600 or $1,200 in the first stimulus package and a check for up to $1,100 under the second package. Some may receive lower ESG II payouts depending on whether or not they qualify for ESG I and other factors.

Californians who earn less than $75,000 a year and who filed their taxes by October 15, 2021 will be eligible. The state’s Franchise Tax Board (FTB) is also expected to issue a new tranche of checks in June.

Residents may be eligible for one or both stimulus payments, according to the FTB website, and should check their eligibility.


The state of Delaware plans to issue a tax refund by the end of May. Single filers should receive $300, while couples who filed jointly can expect a $600 rebate.

Refunds will be given to Delaware residents who filed personal income tax returns for 2020. The refund also applies to residents who did not earn enough to file their taxes in 2020, according to Delaware Online.

The Delaware Department of Finance (DOF) said The American Sun: “The State plans to send [the] first round of payments in May based on 2020 return data.”

The DOF also said it plans to make new rounds of payments.


The state of Indiana will also offer tax refunds to eligible residents starting in May of this year.

Those who filed taxes as individuals should receive a payment of $125, while married couples will receive $250. Anyone who filed taxes in the state before January 3, 2022 will be eligible.

Paper checks may not be issued until July or August, but those who provided banking information with their 2021 tax returns will receive direct payments.


While the state of Illinois is expected to pay taxpayers up to $400 later this year, the city of Chicago will provide prepaid gas and transit cards to eligible residents.

The city will issue up to 50,000 prepaid gas cards worth $150 each and up to 100,000 prepaid transit cards worth $50 each. The cards will be issued as part of Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s Chicago Moves program.

According Chicago Moves website75% of these cards “will give priority to residents of community areas facing higher mobility difficulties”, while the remaining 25% “will be distributed throughout the city in equal quantities to each neighborhood”.

Cards will be awarded by lottery beginning the second week of May and continuing through September.

Use of the Gas Card “will be limited to the purchase of gasoline at pumps located at any gas station in the City of Chicago.”

Applicants must be a Chicago resident over the age of 18, have a household income at or below 100% of the area’s median income – exact numbers for areas can be found on the Chicago Moves website

Those applying for a gas card must also have a “current, valid city sticker with correct postal information for the vehicle.”

Residents of four states can expect to receive stimulus payments in May. Pictured are economic stimulus checks being prepared for printing at the Philadelphia Financial Center in Philadelphia.
Jeff Fusco/Getty Images

About Author

Comments are closed.